Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gone With The Wind - script 03

Scarlett’s widowhood at Atlanta

(The day after Melanie and Ashley's wedding, Scarlett marries Charles Hamilton. Melanie kiss on Scarlett’s face.)
MELANIE: Scarlett. I thought of you at our wedding yesterday and I hope that yours would be as beautiful.
And it was.
SCARLETT: Was it?
MELANIE: Now we're really and truly sisters. Charles.
CHARLES: Melanie.
(Ashley’s turn to kiss on Scarlett’s face, like brother and sister. And Scarlett start into ears and cry.)
CHARLES: Don't cry darling. The war will be over in a few weeks and I'll be coming back to you.


(Days later, Scarlett received a letter from the army and was told that Charles has died. And Scarlett began her widow life. One day she was tired of wearing the black dress, and try on other colorful dress, and got catch by Mammy…)
MAMMY: Miss Scarlett!
SCARLETT: Well, I don't care.I'm too young to be a widow.
MAMMY: Miss Scarlett!
SCARLETT: Why, I just go around scaring people in that thing.
MAMMY: You ain't supposed to be around people. You's in mourning.
SCARLETT: For what? I don't feel anything. Why should I have to pretend and pretend? (crying…)
Mrs. O’HARA: What is it? Oh, baby... What is it?
SCARLETT: My life is over. Nothing will ever happen to me anymore. Oh, Mother. I know you'll think I'm horrible, but I just can't bear going around in black. It's bad enough not being able to go to any parties... but looking this way too.
Mrs. O’HARA: I don't think you're at all horrible. It's only natural to want to look young and be young when you are young. Oh, baby... How would you like to go visiting somewhere? Savannah perhaps?
SCARLETT: What would I do in Savannah?
Mrs. O’HARA: Well, Atlanta then. There's lots going on there. And you could stay with Melanie and her Aunt Pittypat.


SCARLETT: Melanie…Yes. Yes, I could, couldn't I? Oh, Mother, you're sweet to me, sweeter than anybody in the world.
Mrs. O’HARA: You'd like it, really? All right then. Now stop your crying and smile. You can take Prissy with you. (to Mammy) Start packing Miss Scarlett's things, Mammy. I'll go write the necessary letters.
SCARLETT: Atlanta!
MAMMY: Savannah would be better for you. You'd just get in trouble in Atlanta.
SCARLETT: What trouble are you talking about?
MAMMY: You know what trouble It's talking about. It's talking about Mist' Ashley Wilkes. He'll be coming to Atlanta when he gets his leave and you're sitting there waiting for him just like a spider! He belongs to Miss Melanie...
SCARLETT: You go pack my things like Mother said.


 


(Hushed and grim, Atlanta turned painful eyes towards the far awav little town of Gettysburg and page of history waited for three days while two nations came to death grips on the farm lands of Pennsylvania....)
MAN: Casualty-lists, Casualty-lists, Casualty-lists
UNCLE PETER: Here are you, the lists, Miss Melanie. They was fighting for them so it just got tore in half.
MELANIE: Scarlett, you look. The W's at the end.
SCARLETT: Wellman, Wendell, White, Whitner, Wilkins... ...Williams, Woolsey, Workman.
MELANIE: Scarlett, you've passed him.
SCARLETT: Oh, he isn't there! He isn't there!
MELANIE: Ashley's safe. He isn't listed.
SCARLETT: Oh, he's safe, he's safe.
MELANIE: Oh, Scarlett, you're so sweet to worry about Ashley like this for me. (Mrs. Meade is crying) I must go to her.
(Melanie go to the Meades…)
DR. MEADE: Don't, my dear, not here. Let's go home.
MELANIE: Dr. Meade, not...
DR. MEADE: Yes, our boy, Darcy.
Mrs. MEADE: I was making these mittens for him. He won't need them now.
PHIL MEADE: Mother, I'm going to enlist! I'll show 'em. I'll kill all those Yankees.
MELANIE: Phil Meade, you hush your mouth. Do you think it will help your mother to have you off getting shot too? I never heard of anything so silly.


(Rhett ride on the horse and come beside Scarlett…)
RHETT: It's a black day, Scarlett. You haven't had bad news, have you?
SCARLETT: Ashley's safe.
RHETT: I'm glad, for Mrs. Wilkes' sake.
SCARLETT: But, Rhett, there are so many others.
RHETT: Many of your friends?
SCARLETT: Just about every family in the county. The Tarleton boys, Rhett, both of them.
RHETT: Yes, look at them. All these poor tragic people. The South's sinking to its knees. It'll never rise again. The cause... The cause of living in the past is dying right in front of us.
SCARLETT: I never heard you talk like that before.
RHETT: I'm angry. Waste always makes me angry. And that's what all this is, sheer waste. But don't you be downcast. Ashley Wilkes is still alive to come home to the women who love him... both of them.


(Ashley will be back for the Christmas holiday for three days. At the station, Melanie and Scarlett are waiting for Ashley…)
MELANIE: Oh, you're here. Oh, you're here. You're really here at last. Oh, my dear, I've waited so long.
ASHLEY: Melanie, my dear, my darling wife.
MELANIE: Oh, but we're forgetting Scarlett.
ASHLEY: Scarlett, dear. Well, is this any way to greet a returning warrior?
SCARLETT: Ashley, I... I... Merry Christmas, Ashley.


(The servant is preparing for the Christmas dinner…)
SERVANT: (catching the cock ) We've got all your little chicks. You got nobody to worry your head about leaving. Come on. Now you just stand still so you can be a Christmas gift for the white folks. Now hold on. Hold on! Don't go getting so uppity... even if you is the last chicken in Atlanta.
(At the dinner…)
UNCLE PETER: Let's not talk about the war. It's Christmas. Let's talk about Twelve Oaks, and Tara and all the times before the war. Can we have the wine, Aunt Pittypat?
AUNT PITTY: Why did you say there wasn't enough, Uncle Peter? There's plenty. It's the very last of my father's fine Madeira. He got it from his uncle, Admiral Will Hamilton of Savannah who married his cousin, Jessica Carroll of Carrollton, who was his second cousin once removed and a kin to the Wilkeses too. I saved it to wish Ashley a Merry Christmas. But you mustn't drink it all at once because it is the last.
(After dinner, Ashley and Melanie go upstairs and go to sleep…)
ASHLEY: I meant it, my dear. It was a lovely Christmas gift. Only generals have tunics like this, nowadays.
MELANIE: I'm so happy you like it, dear.
ASHLEY: Where did you get the cloth?
MELANIE: It was sent to me by a Charleston lady. I nursed her son while he was in the hospital, Ashley, before he died and... Oh, you will take good care of it, won't you? You won't let it get torn. Promise me.
ASHLEY: You mustn't worry. I'll bring it back to you without any holes in it, I promise.
ASHLEY: (to Scarlett downstairs) Good night, my dear.
MELANIE: Good night, Scarlett, darling.


(It’s time for Ashley to leave…)
SCARLETT: Is it time yet, Uncle Peter, for Mr. Ashley to leave?
UNCLE PETER: Pretty quick now, Miss Scarlett.
SCARLETT: She isn't going to the depot with him? She hasn't changed her mind?
UNCLE PETER: No, ma'am. She's laying down. She's so upset Mist' Wilkes told her she can't even come downstairs.
(Ashley come down…)
SCARLETT: Ashley! Ashley, let me go to the depot with you.
ASHLEY: Oh, Scarlett, I'd rather remember you as you are now not shivering at the depot.
SCARLETT: All right. Oh, Ashley, I've got a present for you, too.
ASHLEY: Why, Scarlett, it's beautiful. Tie it on me, my dear.
SCARLETT: While Melly was making your new tunic, I made this to go with it.
ASHLEY: You made it yourself?
SCARLETT: Well, then I shall value it all the more. You know there's nothing I wouldn't do for you.
ASHLEY: There's something you can do for me.
SCARLETT: What is it?
ASHLEY: Will you look after Melanie for me? She's so frail and gentle and she loves you so much. You see, if I were killed and she...
SCARLETT: Oh, you mustn't say that. It's bad luck. Say a prayer quickly.
ASHLEY: You say one for me. We shall need all our prayers now the end is coming.
SCARLETT: The end?
ASHLEY: The end of the war. And the end of our world, Scarlett.
SCARLETT: But, Ashley, you don't think the Yankees are beating us?
ASHLEY: Oh, Scarlett, my men are barefooted now, and the snow in Virginia is deep. When I see them and I see the Yankees coming and coming, always more and more…Well, when the end does come, I shall be far away. It'll be a comfort to me to know that she has you. You will promise, won't you?
SCARLETT: Yes. Is that all, Ashley?
ASHLEY: All except, goodbye.
SCARLETT: Oh, Ashley, I can't let you go. (crying…)
ASHLEY: You must be brave...
SCARLETT: No...
ASHLEY: You must. How else can I bear going? Oh, Scarlett, you are so fine and strong and beautiful. Not just your sweet face, my dear... but you.
SCARLETT: Oh, Ashley, kiss me. Kiss me goodbye!


(kiss on Scarlett’s font head, and Scarlett kiss on his lips…)
ASHLEY: No, Scarlett.
SCARLETT: Oh, Ashley, I love you. I've always loved you. I never loved anyone else. I only married Charles just to hurt you. Oh, Ashley. Tell me you love me. I'll live on it the rest of my life.
ASHLEY: Goodbye.( and then go out…)
SCARLETT: When the war is over, Ashley. When the war is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment