Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gone With The Wind - script 06

Back to Tara

(Panic hit the city with the first of Sherman shells......Helpless and unarmed, the populace fled from the
oncoming Juggernaut . And desperately the gallant "remnants of an army marched out to face the foe. Melanie
gives birth to a child with the help of Scarlett. Now Scarlett sends Prissy for Rhett Butler, she's getting ready to leave.)

(Prissy is send to the Belle’s house to find Rhett…)
PRISSY: Captain Butler! Captain Butler!
MAN: Who do you want?
PRISSY: Captain Butler.
MAN: He's upstairs. Belle Watling's giving a party.
PRISSY: Yes, sir. Thank you.
PRISSY: (yelling loudly) Captain Butler!
BELLE: What's all the rumpus about?
PRISSY: I's got a message for Captain Butler, Mrs. Watling. (Rhett shows up) Captain Butler, you come out here in the streets to me!
RHETT: What is it, Prissy?
PRISSY: Miss Scarlett done sent me for you. Miss Melly, she done had her baby today. A fine baby boy. And Miss Scarlett and me, we brung it.
RHETT: Are you telling me Scarlett...?
PRISSY: It was mostly me, Captain Butler. Only Miss Scarlett, she helped me a little. But I don't expect no doctor could have done no better. Only, Miss Melly, she feel kind of poorly now it's all over.
RHETT: Yes, I can believe that.
PRISSY: And the Yankees is coming. And Miss Scarlett, she says... Captain Butler, the Yankees is here! Please come and bring your carriage for us right away!
RHETT: I'm sorry, but the army took my horse and carriage. You better come upstairs. Now see what I can do.
PRISSY: No, Captain Butler. Ma would wear me out with a cornstalk if I was to go into Mrs. Watling's.
RHETT: Any of you beauties know where I can steal a horse for a good cause?


 


(Rhett coming for the house with an old house and a old carriage…)

RHETT: Whoah, whoah.
PRISSY: We're here, Miss Scarlett! We're here.
SCARLETT: Rhett, is that you, Rhett?

PRISSY: He's here, Miss Scarlett, he's here!
SCARLETT: Oh, Rhett, I knew you'd come.
RHETT: Good evening. Nice weather we're having. Prissy tells me you're planning on...
SCARLETT: If you make any jokes now, I'll kill you!
RHETT: Don't tell me you're frightened.
SCARLETT: I'm scared to death, and if you had the sense of a goat you'd be scared, too! Oh, the Yankees!
RHETT: No, not yet, that's what's left by our army blowing up the ammunition, so the Yankees won't get it.
SCARLETT: We've got to get out of here.
RHETT: At your service, Madame. Just where were you figuring on going?
SCARLETT: Home, to Tara.
RHETT: Tara? Don't you know that they've been fighting all day around Tara? Do you think you can parade right
through the Yankee army with a sick woman, a baby and simply minded darkie? Or do you intend leaving them
behind.
SCARLETT: They're going with me and I'm going home and you can't stop me!
RHETT: You little fool. Don't you know it's dangerous jouncing Mrs.Wilkes over miles of open country?
SCARLETT: (crying) I want my mother! I want to go home to Tara!
RHETT: Tara's probably been burned to the ground. The woods are full of stragglers from both armies, the least
thing they'll do is take the horse away from you. And even though it isn't much of an animal, I did have a lot of trouble stealing it.
SCARLETT: I'm going home if I have to walk every step of the way! I'll kill you if you try to stop me, I will! I will! I will! I will!
(Rhett hold Scarlett in his arm and comfort her…)
RHETT: It's all right, darling, it's all right. Now you shall go home. I guess anybody who did what you've done today can take care of Sherman. Stop crying. Now blow your nose like a good little girl...there...
(Prissy are packing and breaking things…)
SCARLETT: Prissy, what are you doing?
PRISSY: I'm packing, Miss Scarlett.
SCARLETT: Well, stop it. Come and get the baby
PRISSY: Yes.
SCARLETT: Melanie, Melanie...
RHETT: Mrs. Wilkes. We're taking you to Tara.
MELANIE: Tara...
SCARLETT: It's the only way, Melanie.
MELANIE: No...
SCARLETT: Sherman will bum the house over our heads if we stay. It's all right, Melanie, it's all right.
MELANIE: My baby... My poor baby.
RHETT: Have you the strength to put your arms around my neck?
MELANIE: I think so. (She does so, but fail)
RHETT: Never mind.
MELANIE: Oh,Ashley..Charles!
RHETT: What is it? What does she want?
SCARLETT: Ashley's picture and Charles' sword, she wants us to bring them.
RHETT: Get them.
(They are going out the door and get in the carriage... )
SCARLETT: What's that?
RHETT: Our gallant lads set fire to the warehouses. Enough ammunition in boxcars to blow us to Tara. We have to get across the tracks.
SCARLETT: Not that way!
RHETT: We have to. McDonough road's the only one the Yankees haven't cut yet.
SCARLETT: Oh,Wait, I forgot to lock the front door! What are you laughing at?
RHETT: At you, locking the Yankees out.
(They venture all the way, …)
SCARLETT: Oh, dear! I wish they'd hurry.
RHETT: I wouldn't be in such a hurry to see them go. With them goes the last semblance of law and order. Scavengers aren't wasting any time. Better get out of here fast.
MAN1: There's a horse! Get it! Give us that horse!
MAN2: Down the alley! Cut him off!
(fighting and screaming…)
MAN1: Pull that horse! I'll get him!
MAN: Give me that horse!
(They get rid of those scavengers and go on…)
RHETT: Haven't left much to take. We'll make a dash for it before the fire reaches that ammunition. Come on! Throw me your shawl. (to the horse) You'll like it better if you don't see anything.
(They go through the firing street…)
RHETT: Take a good look, my dear. It's a historic moment. Tell your grandchildren how you watched the Old South disappear one night. They were gonna lick the Yankees in a month. The poor gallant fools.
(They get out of the town, and catch up with the army…)
SCARLETT: They make me sick on. Getting us all into this by swaggering and boasting.
RHETT: That's the way I felt once about their "swaggering and boasting".
SCARLETT: Oh, Rhett. I'm so glad you aren't with the army. You can be proud now, proud that you've been smarter than all of them.
RHETT: I'm not so proud.


(At last they are pretty near Tara. Rhett suddenly stops.)
SCARLETT: Why did you stop?
RHETT: This is the turn to Tara. I let the horse breathe a bit. Mrs. Wilkes...
PRISSY: Miss Melanie done fainted way back, Captain Butler.
RHETT: She's probably better off. She couldn't stand the pain if she were conscious. Scarlett, are you still determined to do this crazy thing?
SCAELETT: Oh, yes, yes, I know we can get through it, I'm sure we can.
RHETT: Not we, my dear, you. I'm leaving you here.
SCARLETT: You're what? Rhett, where are you going?
RHETT: I'm going, my dear, to join the army.
SCARLETT: Oh, you're joking. I could kill you for scaring me so.
RHETT: I'm very serious, Scarlett. I'm going to join up with our brave lads in gray.
SCARLETT: But they're running away.
RHETT: Oh, no, they'll turn and make a last stand, if I know anything about them. And when they do, I
'll be with them. I'm a little late, but better late than...
SCARLETT: Rhett, you must be joking.
RHETT: Selfish to the end, aren't you? Thinking of your own precious hide with never a thought for the noble cause.
SCARLETT: Rhett, how could you do this to me, and why should you go now that, after it's all over and I need you, why? Why?
RHETT: Why? Maybe it's because I've always had a weakness for lost causes, once they're really lost. Or maybe, maybe I'm ashamed of myself. Who knows?
SCARLETT: You should die of shame to leave me here alone and helpless.
RHETT: You, helpless? Heaven help the Yankees if they capture you. Now, climb down here. I want to say goodbye.
SCARLETT: No.
RHETT: Climb down. (carrying her out of the carriage and take her aside…)
SCARLETT: Oh Rhett, please don't go. You can't leave me, please, I'll never forgive you.
RHETT: I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. But there's one thing that I do know. And that is I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes and call them by their right names.
SCARLETT: Don't hold me like that.
RHETT: Scarlett, look at me. I love you more than I've ever loved any woman. And I've waited longer for you than I've ever waited for any woman.
SCARLETT: Let me alone!
RHETT: Here's a soldier of the South that loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about loving me. You're a woman who's sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett, kiss me, kiss me, once. (and he is kissing her, in mouth)
SCARLETT: You're a low-down, cowardly, nasty thing, you! (slap on Rhett’s face) They were right. Everybody was right, you, you aren't a gentleman.
RHETT: A minor point at such a moment. Here, if anyone lays a hand on that nag, shoot him. But don't make a mistake and shoot the nag.
SCARLETT: Oh, go on. I want you to go. I hope a cannonball lands slap on you, I hope you're blown into a million pieces, I...
RHETT: Never mind the rest, I follow your general idea. And when I'm dead on the order of my country, I hope your conscience irks you. Good-bye Scarlett.
SCARLETT: (crying…) (to the house) Come on, you. We're going home.


(On the way home to Tara, the bady is crying.)
Melanie: Oh, my poor baby.
SCARLETT: Don't worry. Mother will take care of him when we get home.
Prissy: Miss Scarlett, I's powerful hungry. We's got to have something to eat.
SCARLETT: Hush up! We're nearly at Twelve Oaks. We'll stop there. Go on!
(They arrive Twelve Oaks)
SCARLETT: Oh, Ashley. Ashley, I'm glad you're not here to see this. The Yankees. The dirty Yankees! Come tie up this cow.
Prissy: We don't need no cow, Miss Scarlett. We'll be home soon, and I's scared of cows.
SCARLETT: Tie her onto the back of the wagon with your petticoat. We need milk for the baby, and we
don't know what we'll find at home.


(Scarlett drives on to Tara.)
SCARLETT: Melanie, Melanie, we're home! We're at Tara! (lashing the horse) Hurry! Move, you brute!!
PRISSY: Oh, Miss Scarlett, he's dead!
SCARLETT: I can't see the house, is it there? I can't seethe house, have they burned it? It's all right, it's all right,they haven't burned it. It's still there!

(Tara had survived, to face the hell and famine of defeat.)
SCARLETT: Mother! Mother, I'm home! Mother, I'm home! Mother let me in, it's me, Scarlett. Oh, Pa! I'm home, I'm home... I'm home.
Mr. O'HARA: Katie? Katie Scarlett! Oh, darling!
SCARLETT: Mammie, mammy, I'm home.
MAMMIE: Oh, honey child...
SCARLETT: Mammy, I'm so, so....where's mother?
MAMMIE: Why... Miss Suellen, Miss Carreen, they was sick with the typhoid. They had it bad, but they's doing all right now. Just weak, like little kittens.
SCARLETT: But, where's mother?
MAMMIE: Why... Miss Ellen. She went down to nurse that Emmie Slattery, that white trash. And she took down with it, too. Then last night, she...
SCARLETT: Mother? Mother? Mother!

(Scarlett walks into her mother's room faintly. There, in dark and quietness, lies Mrs. O'Hara. She's dead. Scarlett cries desperate. And then she walk out of the room.)
Mammy: Miss Scarlett honey...
PAUL: If there's anything I can do, Miss Scarlett...
SCARLETT: What did you do with Miss Melanie?
MAMMIE: Don't you worry your pretty head about Miss Melanie, child. I done slapped her in bed already along with the baby.
SCARLETT: You better put that cow I brought into the barn, Paul.
PAUL: There ain't no barn. No more, Miss Scarlett. The Yankees burned it for firewood.
MAMMIE: They used the house for their headquarters Miss Scarlett.
PAUL: They camped all around the place.

SCARLETT: Yankees in Tara?
MAMMIE: Yes'm. And they stole almost everything they didn't burn. All the clothes, and all the rugs, and even Miss Ellen's rosaries.
SCARLETT: I'm starving, Paul. Get me something to eat.
MAMMIE: There ain't nothing to eat honey. They took it all.
SCARLETT: All the chickens, everything?
SERVANT: They took them the first day. And what they didn't eat they carried off across their saddles.
SCARLETT: Don't tell me any more about what they did.


(Scarlett goes into the room, finding her father in solitude.)
SCARLETT: What's this, Pa? Whisky?
Mr. O'HARA: Yes daughter. Katie Scarlett, that's enough. Your not knowing spirits, you'll make yourself 'tipsy.
SCARLETT: I hope it makes me drunk. I'd like to be drunk. Oh, Pa...what are those papers?
Mr. O'HARA: Bonds. They're all we've saved. All we have left. Bonds.
SCARLETT: But what kind of bonds, Pa?
Mr. O'HARA: Why, Confederate bonds of course, darling.
SCARLETT: Confederate bonds. What good are they to anybody?

Mr. O'HARA: I'll not have you talking like that, Katie Scarlett.
SCARLETT: Oh, Paw, what are we going to do with no money and, and nothing to eat?
Mr. O'HARA: We must ask your mother. That's it. We must ask Mrs.O'Hara.
SCARLETT: Ask Mother?
Mr. O'HARA: Yes. Mrs. O'Hara will know what's to be done. Now don't be bothering me. Go out for a ride. I'm busy.
SCARLETT: Oh, Pa. Don't worry about anything. Katie Scarlett's home. You needn't worry.


(Scarlett leaves the room, closing the door behind her.)

MAMMIE: Miss Scarlett? What are we going to do with nothing to feed those sick folks and that child?
SCARLETT: I don't know Mammy. I don't know.
MAMMIE: We ain't got nothing but radishes in the garden.
PRISSY: Miss Scarlett, Miss Sue Ellen and Miss Corrine, they're fussing to be sponged off.
SCARLETT: Where are the other servants Mammy?
MAMMIE: Miss Scarlett, there's only just me and Paul left. The others moved off during the war and ran away.
PRISSY: I can't take care of that baby and sick folks too. I've only got two hands.


PAUL: Who's going to milk that cow, Miss Scarlett? We're house workers…

(Exhausted and hungry as Scarlett is, she goes out to the open field, digging out the leftover radishes in the ground, swallowing...)
SCARLETT: As God as my witness....as God as my witness, they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill, as God as my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment