Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gone With The Wind - script 04

Nursing in the hospital

(Atlanta prayed while onward surged the triumphant Yankees...Heads were high, but hearts were heavy, as the wounded and the refugees poured into unhappy Georgia......In the hospital, Scarlett helps out as a nurse there, but her patience was easily suffocated by the dying and screaming there.)
(Melanie and Scarlett in the hospital…)
MAN: … And there's a place back home, where a wild plum tree comes to flower in the springtime. Down by the creek, you know.
MELANIE: Yes, I know, I know.
MAN: When we were little, my brother, Jeff, and I used to... I told you about my brother, Jeff, didn't I, ma'am?
MELANIE: I know I did.
MAN: He... We don't know where Jeff is now, ma'am. Since Bull Run we haven't heard anything and...
MELANIE: Please, we must have your temperature now. Just take this in your mouth and not talk anymore. Not just now.
SCARLETT: Melanie, I'm so tired I've gotta go home. Aren't you tired, Melanie?
MELANIE: No, I'm not tired, Scarlett. This might be... Ashley. And only strangers here to comfort him. No, I'm not tired, Scarlett. They could all be... Ashley.


(That night When Scarlett and Melanie get out of the hospital and ready to go home, They were stop by an woman)
BELLE WATLIN: I've been sitting by this curb one solid hour waiting to speak to you, Miss Wilkes.
ANCLE PETER: Go on, you trash, don't you be pestering these ladies.
SCARLETT: Don't talk to her, Melly.
MELANIE: It's all right, Scarlett. Who are you?
BELLE WATLIN: My name's Belle Watlin. But that don't matter. I expect you think I've got no business here.
MELANIE: Hadn't you best tell me what you want to see me about?
BELLE WATLIN: First time I come here, I says,"Belle, you're a nurse." But the ladies didn't want my kind of nursing. Well, they was more than likely right. Then I tried giving 'em money. My money wasn't good enough for 'em, either. Old pea-hens! I know a gentleman who says you're a human being. If you are, which they ain't, you'll take my money for the hospital.
Mrs, MEADE: What are you doing here? Haven't you been told twice already?
BELLE WATLIN: This time I'm conversing with Miss Wilkes. You might as well take my money, Miss Wilkes. It's good money, even if it is mine.
MELANIE: I'm sure you're very generous.
BELLE WATLIN: No, I'm not. I'm a Confederate like everybody else, that's all.
MELANIE: Of course you are.
BELLE WATLIN: There's some folks here wouldn't feel that way. But maybe they ain't as good Christians as you. (and go away)
MELANIE: Look, Mrs. Meade. It's a great deal of money. Ten, twenty, thrirty, fifty. And it's not our paper money. It's gold.
SCARLETT: Let me see that handkerchief… R. B. … And she's driving away in Rhett Butler's carriage!  Oh, if I just wasn't a lady what wouldn't I tell that varmint!



(Scarlett goes to the donation party with Melanie, wearing black.)
AUNT PITTY: They're all whispering, and I just know it's about her.
MELANIE: What's it matter what they say, Aunt Pittypat?
AUNT PITTY: But Scarlett is living under my roof so they all think I'm responsible for her, and for a widow to appear in public at a social gathering! Every time I think of it I feel faint!
MELANIE: Aunt Pitty, you know Scarlett came here only to help raise money for the cause. It was splendid of her to make the sacrifice. Anyone would think, to hear you talk that she came here to dance instead of to sell things.


DR. MEADE: Ladies and gentlemen. I have important news, glorious news. Another triumph for our magnificent men in arms. General Lee has completely whipped the enemy and swept the Yankee army northward from Virginia! And now, a happy surprise for all of us! We have with us tonight that most daring of all blockade runners, whose fleet schooners, slipping past the Yankee guns have brought us here the very woolens and laces we wear tonight. I refer, ladies and gentlemen, to that will-o'-the-wisp of the bounding main, none other than our friend from Charleston, Captain Rhett Butler!
(Rhett saw Scarlett and walk toward her. Scarlett run away but her dress was hitched)

RHETT: Permit me.
MELANIE: Captain Butler, such a pleasure to see you again. I met you last at my husband's home.
RHETT: That's kind of you to remember, Mrs. Wilkes. MELANIE: Did you meet Captain Butler at Twelve Oaks, Scarlett?
SCARLETT: Yes I, I think so.
RHETT: Only for a moment, Mrs. Hamilton, it was in the library. You, uh, had broken something.
SCARLETT: Yes, Captain Butler, I remember you.
MAN: Ladies, the Confederacy asks for your jewelry on behalf of our noble cause.
SCARLETT: We aren't wearing any, we're in mourning.
RHETT: Wait. On behalf of Mrs. Wilkes and Mrs. Hamilton,.
MAN: Thank you, Captain Butler.
MELANIE: Just a moment, please.
MAN: But, it's your wedding ring, ma'am.
MELANIE: It may help my husband more, off my finger.
MAN: Thank you.
RHETT: It was a very beautiful thing to do, Mrs. Wilkes.
SCARLETT: Here, you can have mine, too. for the cause.
RHETT: And you Mrs. Hamilton. I know just how much that means to you.
DR. MEADE: Melanie.
MELANIE: Yes, Dr. Meade.
DR. MEADE: I need your approval as a member of the committee with something we want to do, that's rather shocking. Will you excuse us, please?
(Melanie went away…)
RHETT: I'll say one thing. The war makes the most peculiar widows.

SCARLETT: I wish you'd go away. If you'd had any raising, you'd know I never want to see you again.
RHETT: Now, why be silly? You've no reason for hating me. I'll carry your guilty secret to my grave.
SCARLETT: Oh, I guess I'd be very unpatriotic to hate one of the great heroes of the war. I do declare, I was surprised that you'd turned out to be such a noble character.
RHETT: I can't bear to take advantage of your little girl's ideas, Miss O'Hara. I am neither noble nor heroic.
SCARLETT: But you are a blockade runner.
RHETT: For profit. And profit only.
SCARLETT: Are you trying to tell me you don't believe in the cause?
RHETT: I believe in Rhett Butler. He's the only cause I know. The rest doesn't mean much to me.


DR. MEADE: And now, ladies and gentlemen. I have a startling surprise for the benefit of the hospital. Gentlemen, if you wish to lead the opening real with the lady of your choice, you must bid for her.
WOMAN: Caroline Meade, how could you permit your husband to conduct this, this, slave auction?
CAROLINE MEADE: Darling Merry Weather, how dare you criticize me? Melanie Wilkes told the doctor that if it's for the benefit of the cause, it's quite all right.
WOMAN: She did?
AUNT PITTY: Oh dear, oh dear, where are my smelling salts? I think I shall faint.
CAROLINE MEADE: Don't you dare faint, Lilly Beth Hamilton. If Melanie says it's all right, it is all right.
DR. MEADE: Come gentlemen, do I hear your bids? Make your offers! Don't be bashful, gentlemen!
MAN1: Twenty dollars! Twenty dollars for Miss Maybelle Merryweather.
MAN2: Twenty five dollars for Miss Fanny Ossing!
DR. MEADE: Only twenty five dollars to give.
RHETT: One hundred and fifty dollars in gold.
DR. MEADE: For what lady, sir?
RHETT: For Mrs. Charles Hamilton.
DR. MEADE: For whom, sir?
RHETT: Mrs. Charles Hamilton.
DR. MEADE: Mrs. Hamilton is in mourning, Captain Butler. But I'm sure any of our Atlanta belles would be proud to.
RHETT: But talk to me. I said Mrs. Charles Hamilton.
DR. MEADE: She will not consider it, sir.
SCARLETT: (Flame in Scarlett's eyes.) Oh, yes, I will.
MAN: Choose your partners for the Virginia reel.

(Scarlett squeezes through the crowd to Butler. They go dancing.)
RHETT: We've sort of shocked the Confederacy, Scarlett.
SCARLETT: It's a little like blockade running, isn't it?
RHETT: It's worse. But I expect a very fancy profit out of it.
SCARLETT: I don't care what you expect or what they think, I'm gonna dance and dance. Tonight I wouldn't mind dancing with Abe Lincoln himself.

(In the Hamiltons. Rhett pays a visit to Scarlett and brings her a bonnet from Paris.)

SCARLETT: Another dance and my reputation will be lost forever.
RHETT: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
SCARLETT: Oh, you do talk scandalous. You do waltz divinely, Captain Butler.
RHETT: Don't start flirting with me. I'm not one of your plantation beaux. I want more than flirting from you.
SCARLETT: What do you want?
RHETT: I'll tell you, Scarlett O'Hara, if you'll take that Southern belle simper off your face. Some day I want you to say to me the words I heard you say to Ashley Wilkes: "I love you."
SCARLETT: That's something you'll never hear from me, Captain Butler, as long as you live.


(The next day, Rhett sent their wedding rings back to S&M…)
MELANIE: How sweet, how kind. He is a thoughtful gentleman.
SCARLETT: Fiddle-dee-dee, why doesn't he say something about my sacrifice?


(Another day, Rhett came to see Scarlett with a gift…)
SCARLETT: Oh, oh, oh the darling thing. Oh, Rhett, it's lovely, lovely! You didn't really bring it all the way from
Paris just for me!
RHETT: Yes. I thought it was about time I got you out of that fake mourning. Next trip I'll bring you some green
silk for a frock to match it.
SCARLETT: Oh, Rhett!
RHETT: It's my duty to blade boys at the front, to keep our girls at home looking pretty.
SCARLETT: It's been so long since I had anything new.

(Scarlett tries the bonnet on. Then she diverts it, considering this is the right way.)
SCARLETT: How do I look?
RHETT: Awful, just awful.
SCARLETT: Why, what's the matter?
RHETT: This war stopped being a joke when a girl like you doesn't know how to wear the latest fashion.
SCARLETT: Oh, Rhett, let me do it. But Rhett, I don't know how I'd dare wear it.
RHETT: You will, though. And another thing. Those pantalets. I don't know a woman in Paris wears pantalets
anymore.
SCARLETT: What do they... you shouldn't talk about such things.

RHETT: You little hypocrite, you don't mind my knowing about them, just my talking about them.
SCARLETT: Rhett, I really can't go on accepting these gifts. Though you are awfully kind.
RHETT: I'm not kind, I'm just tempting you. I never give anything without expecting something in return. I always get paid.
SCARLETT: If you think I'll marry you just to pay for the bonnet, I won't.
RHETT: Don't flatter yourself, I'm not a marrying man.
SCARLETT: Well, I won't kiss you for it, either.(Close her eyes and pretend to be kissing.. )
RHETT: Open your eyes and look at me. No, I don't think I will kiss you. Although you need kissing badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.
SCARLETT: And I suppose that you think that you are the proper person.
RHETT: I might be, if the right moment ever came.
SCARLETT: You're a conceited, black- hearted varmint, Rhett Butler, and I don't know why I let you come and see me.
RHETT: I'll tell you why, Scarlett. Because I'm the only man over sixteen and under sixty who's around to show
you a good time. But cheer up, the war can't last much longer.
SCARLETT: Really, Rhett? Why?
RHETT: There's a little battle going on right now that ought to pretty well fix things. One way or the other.
SCARLETT: Oh, Rhett, is Ashley in it?
RHETT: So you still haven't gotten the wooden headed Mr. Wilkes out of your mind? Yes, I suppose he's in it.
SCARLETT: Oh, tell me, Rhett, where is it?
RHETT: Some little town in Pennsylvania called Gettysburg.


(Panic hit the city with the first of Sherman's shells... Helpless and unarmed, the populace fled from the oncoming Juggernaut... And desperately the gallant remnants of an army marched out to face the foe...)
(At the hospital…)
PRIEST: With the Lord as my shepherd I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. With the
sword at my soul. He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. "Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. "
MAN1: Yankees!
SCARLETT: The Yankees! Oh, Dr. Meade, they're getting closer.
Dr. MEADE: They'll never get into Atlanta. They'll never get through old Peg-Leg Hood.
Wounded MAN: Give me something for the pain!
Dr. MEADE: Sorry, son, we haven't got anything to give you.
Wounded MAN2: These animules is driving me crazy!
Wounded MAN3: (playing cards…) What luck! You've got my jack...!
Wounded MAN4: (playing cards…) Give me an ace and I'll start another war!
Wounded MAN5: I'll bid the moon!
Wounded MAN6: That I'll never see you or Pa again.
Dr. MEADE: This leg's got to come off, soldier.
Wounded MAN6: No, no! Leave me alone!
Dr. MEADE: I'm sorry, soldier.
MAN: We're all run out of chloroform, Dr. Meade.
Dr. MEADE: Then we'll have to operate without it.
Wounded MAN6: No, no! Leave me alone! You can't do it. I won't let you do it to me!
Dr. MEADE: Tell Dr. Wilson to take this leg off immediately. It's gangrene.
Wounded MAN6: No, no! Don't!
Dr. MEADE: I haven't seen my family in three days. I'm going home for half an hour. Orderly! Give me a lift. Nurse, you can free this bed.
FRANK: Miss Scarlett!
SCARLETT: Why, Frank Kennedy!
FRANK: Miss Suellen, is she well?
SCARLETT: When did they bring you in? You all right? Are you badly hurt?
FRANK: But Miss Suellen, is she...
SCARLETT: She's all right, but l...
MAN: (to Scarlett) Dr. Wilson needs you in the operating room. He's going to take off that leg. Better hurry.
SCARLETT: (to Frank) I'll be back.
(in the operating room … )
Wounded MAN: (crying) No, no, leave me alone! No, no, I can't stand it! No don't! Don't cut! Don't cut! Don't, don't! Please!
MAN: Where's the nurse?
MAN: Mrs. Hamilton, Dr. Wilson is waiting.
SCARLETT: Let him wait, I’m going home, I’ve done enough. I don’t want any more men dying and screaming, I don’t want anymore.


 



(Scarlett runs out of the hospital onto the street, where she finds the whole city is shaking in the flame of war. Everyone is fleeing. And Scarlett see Big Sam and other Tara black workers in the army…)
SCARLETT: Big Sam! Big Sam! Big Sam!
BIG SAM: Almighty Moses, it's Miss Scarlett!
SCARLETT: Big Sam! Sam, Lige, Postel, Prophet! I'm so glad to see you! Tell me about Tara, about my mother.
She didn't write me.
BIG SAM: She's gone and got sick, Miss Scarlett.
SCARLETT: Sick?
BIG SAM: Just a little bit sick, that's all. Your pa was wild when they wouldn't let him fight 'cause of his broken knee. He had fits when they took us field hands to dig ditches for white soldiers to hide in. But your ma says the Confederacy needs us. So we're gonna dig for the South.
SCARLETT: Sam, was there a doctor?
OFFOCER: Sorry, ma'am, we've got to march.
BIG SAM: Goodbye, Miss Scarlett. Don't worry, we'll stop them Yankees.
SCARLETT: Goodbye, Big Sam. Goodbye, boys. If any of you get sick or hurt, let me know.
TARA BOYS: Goodbye, Miss Scarlett. - Goodbye. - Goodbye.


(Scarlett hardly walks on the street. She is totally at a loss what to do, then Butler comes with a carriage.)

RHETT: Scarlett! Whoah. Climb into this buggy, this is no day for walking, you’ll get run over.
SCARLETT: Rhett, Oh, Rhett! Drive me to Aunt Pitty's, please.
RHETT: Panic’s a pretty sight, isn’t it. Whoah, whoah. That’s just another one of General Shermans calling cards. He’ll be paying us a visit soon.
SCARLETT: I’ve gotta get out of here, I gotta get out of here before the Yankees come.
RHETT: And leave your work at the hospital? Or have you had enough of death and lice and men chopped up? Well I suppose you weren’t meant for sick men, Scarlett.
SCARLETT: Don’t talk to me like that, Rhett, I’m so scared, I wish I’d get out of here!
RHETT: Let’s get out of here together. No use staying here, letting the South come down around your ears. There are too many nice places to go and visit. Mexico, London, Paris...
SCARLETT: With you?
RHETT: Yes Ma’am. I’m the man who understands you and admires you for just what you are. I figure we belong together, being the same sort. I’ve been waiting for you to grow up and get that sad-eyed Ashley Wilkes out of your heart. Well, I hear Mrs. Wilkes is going to have a baby in another month or so. It'll be hard loving a man with a wife and baby clinging to him. Well, here we are. Are you going with me or are you getting out?
SCARLETT: I hate and despise you, Rhett Butler. And I’ll hate and despise you till I die!
RHETT: Oh, no, you won’t, Scarlett, not that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment